Monday, April 22, 2013

Cool Technology: Scott Spark 29, the Twilnoc and Shock Direction

   Stopped in to Boulder Cycle Sport the other day and had a chance to check out the Scott Spark 29. I have been casually looking for a full suspension 29er for racing, and so this caught my eye. 

Stock photo

   There are a few things that I like about this bike - mainly the rear shock position. I really like style that pushes along a tube rather than on the bottom bracket. Here, have a graphic:

Yes                                                No

   This style puts the force from the suspension into a tube from the end, rather than adding more force to an already heavily weighted area. This is largely  matter of opinion, but it's my blog so my opinion is what we'll be reading about.

   Back to the Spark! This bike has a pretty cool lockout system called TwinLoc. This shock lockout system will lock out both the fork and the rear shock with one switch. 

TwinLoc lever

   As far as I'm able to tell, there is no way to lock out the shock and fork separately. It would save time when switching from road to rough stuff, but I could see how you'd want to have the back locked out and some action in  the front. In any case, it's a pretty sweet bike!

No comments: