Thursday, May 18, 2023

Enduro Racing: It's Not All About the Bike

So, we talked about what Enduro racing is and what kinds of courses to expect. Now I'd like to talk about what kind of bike you'd expect to see in this kind of race. Modern Enduro bikes are a combination of the benefits from both downhill bikes and cross country bikes. 


"But Adam, what about Trail bikes?" Trail bikes are like light Enduro bikes. Ok, Fine, here is a better diabram. I mean diagram:

The long reach and steep seat tube angles from cross country combined with slack steer tube angles and low bottom bracket of a downhill bike make for a stable bike that maintains some climbing ability. I think of it as a slightly less convenient trail bike. Here's a bunch of examples (and a comment by some handsome fellow).

What bike am I riding? Let me take you on a journey of bikes: 

2017 Cannondale Scalpel
Travel: 100/100 on Lefty and RockSHOX Monarch 
Group: Sram 2x
Great for racing XC racing, not made for descending

2019 Specialized StumpJumper ST
Travel: 120/130 on Awesome RockSHOX Pike fork, so-so RockSHOX Monarch shock
Group: GX 1x with 50t
Great for front range trails, great in-betweener from CX to trail bike

2023 Trek Fuel EX 9.8 XT*
Travel: 140/150 on FOX suspension, disappointed in the adjustment
Group: XT with 52t
Adjustable everything, great climber, not terribly blown away on descents
*I intended to race Enduro on the Trek, but due to a frame issue I ended up replacing it after 4 rides

2023 Specialized StumpJumper EVO
Travel: 150/160
Group: AXs GX with 52t
Excellent descender, shocks are great

I also looked at the Specialized Enduro, a 170/170 true enduro bike, but that seemed like too much of a compromise for regular use. In the end, the EVO should give me all the travel and handling I need for an Enduro race while still allowing me to ride local trails. 

No comments: