Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Taking a Break from Enduro to... Bikepack?

 For the fourth year in a row I am headed deep into the Colorado back roads to ride my gravel bike and explore some new roads with some friends. Starting in 2020, we started riding a multi-day trip focused on dirt roads, back roads, and beautiful views. 

Top of Old Fall River Road in 2020

For this year, I wanted to share my set up and how it's evolved. This year I am riding a new frame with some time tested bags. Here is my set up:



Let's go through the bike! I have been refining this set up over the years and I'm really happy with it.

Bike setup:
  • Unicorn Ti gravel frame
    • Replacing my Cannondale Topstone
  • DT Swiss c1800 wheels
    • 21mm internal width, not a wide as some but perfectly functional
    • 40c WTB Byway tires
  • SRAM Rival / GX AXs
    • New for this ride, 44t x 11/50t, trying out the 1x
  • Cannondale SAVE seat post
    • This seat post takes a lot of the buzz out of the road
  • Easton EC 70 AX bars
    • Nice flat top and complaint carbon flare bar
Hot Sulphur Springs in 2021

On this trip we have riders using a few different kinds of gear storage from panniers to full frame bags. Below is what I'm riding with. I am trying to keep things even over the length of the bike and reasonably accessible.

Storage:
  • Tail bag: Revelate Shrew 3L 
    • Down jacket, rain gloves, helmet cover, flip flops strapped to outside
  • Frame Bag: Revelate Tangle
    • Lights, chargers, food, misc
  • Top Tube: Revelate Gas Tank
    • snacks
  • Bar Bag: Revelate Egress
    • Evening wear, cold weather stuff, rain jacked strapped to back
  • ***New this year*** Evoc 1L Hip Pack
    • Phone, snacks, misc
  • Wolf Tooth Components tool roll
    • Tube, multitool, tire lever
  • Tool can
    • Emergency tools, misc tools

Outside Meeker in 2022

In addition to all that, here are some of the select things I'm bringing.

Notables:

  • Ass Savers fenders are light and functional
  • Profile Designs fork mounted water bottle cages keep weight low and out of the way
  • Custom handlebar bag mount to keep bar bag off hands
  • Voile straps are a life saver
  • Oversize water bottle cage for Nalgene
  • A very bright headlight for emergencies
  • Garmin InReach GPS Communication device

Here is a look at the 2023 route:



Once the ride is over I'll share the route debrief!

No comments: