Monday, February 11, 2013

New XC Wheels

   The wheels on my Spot mountain bike are some pretty beat up WTB SpeedDisc rims laced to some Shimano 575 hubs. These have served me well, even through the Colorado Trail. But, as happens with many miles, they are suffering:

This is AFTER a bunch of spoke work

   I have been on the look out for some new wheels and have had my eye on the Mavic TN719 rims. Turns out they have a couple hub options. They have a set with Shimano 529 hubs or Shimano XT hubs. I chose the XT hubs for another $30. The weight distribution looks like this:
  • Old Front: 2.03 lbs
  • Old Rear: 2.10 lbs
  • Old Total: 28.05 lbs
  • New Front: 2.03 lbs (no change)
  • New Rear: 2.18 lbs (+0.08 lbs)
  • New Total: 28.14 lbs (additional +.01 due to new tires)
   Well, I was enthusiastic for dropping some weight and it turned out to be a bit of a wash! I had even written in space in this draft for a picture of the scale with so much less weight. Oh well. What I did gain was stronger and smoother hubs, which is worth a bit of a weigh penalty. Here's the bike with the new set up:

New tires really make a bike look hot

   I had a chance to ride the new set up Saturday, and it was very good. The main difference was in braking; my old  front wheel was deflecting to the left when I was braking hard. I give this wheelset a solid 4.5/5, the cost and strength making up for the weight.



No comments: